You’re getting married! Yippee! Before you sit down and make the first call (venue, dress, caterer, photog?) Stop! Start your wedding planning with some focus on your marriage. Figuring out who you want to be when you’re married is a good way to figure out HOW you want to be married. Plus, and here’s a bonus, the more you focus on the stuff between you that is sweet and wonderful, all the stuff you want to build on, the less friction there will be about the wedding plans. You’ll also be cooperating on those things, because now that both of you are hooked in on planning your marriage, you’re both going to be concentrating on planning your wedding!
Tip: Plan an afternoon with nothing else to do (no, put away the blackberry!) ask yourself the following questions and then do some dreaming (more about that tomorrow!)
- In the best of all possible worlds, what would you like to accomplish with your partner?
- What do you like to do together?
- Where would you like to live?
- How would you like to balance work and play and family?
- What are the two of you best at together?
- What challenges do you want to prepare to meet together?
- How do you negotiate together?
- How clear are you about the money, kids, sex, parents, religion and politics things?
- How are you going to keep your relationship vital through the years?